Chapter 9: Player Development
There are not many better feelings as a coach than to see student-athletes reach their true potential as a tennis player. The development process rarely goes in a straight line and it can be fraught with missteps. There are many decisions to make — when to make technical changes, strengths vs. weaknesses, how many aspects of a player’s game to work on at one time, transitioning from junior to college tennis, etc. The coaches interviewed for this chapter, plus the resources below, will help coaches develop their own player development strategy.
Player Development with Josh Goffi
Josh Goffi combines his experience growing up as the son of a high profile coach, a professional tennis player on the ATP tour and his time coaching at Arizona State, Duke and now as the head men’s tennis coach at the University of South Carolina to help his players reach their playing potential. In 2019, he coached Paul Jubb to an individual NCAA title.
Player Development with Claire Pollard
With an overall record of 452-140, 16 Big 10 Titles, a National Team Indoor Championship, and 59 NCAA individual qualifiers, Claire Pollard, the head women’s coach at Northwestern University, knows a thing or two about developing college tennis players.
Player Development with David Schwarz
In seven seasons, David Schwarz, the head women’s coach at NCAA Divison III Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, led his team to an NCAA team title in 2018, a runner-up place in 2019, and were undefeated (14-0) with a National Indoor Championship to their name before the season was suspended in 2020. David has also coached on the men’s side at Brown and Middlebury and is the first coach to win both a men’s (Middlebury) and women’s national championship at two different schools.
Player Development with George Henry
George Henry is the Director of Tennis Operations at Bethune-Cookman University. He has coached at every level of the game from top juniors to college players and all the way through to the top of the professional game. He has helped with the development of players such as Venus and Serena Williams, Steve Campbell, and Ahsha Rolle.
- ITA Podcast: The Continuing Education of a Coach with Geoff MacDonald
- ITA Podcast: Player Development with Joey Scrivano
- Webinar: Player Development & Practice Planning – Kevin Epley & Josh Goffi
- Webinar: Pre Match Preparation & On-Court Coaching – Kevin Epley & Josh Goffi
- Webinar: Biomechanical Foundation – Conrad Singh
- ITA Convention 2019: Kevin Epley – University of South Carolina
- ITA Convention 2019: Nick Carless – California Polytechnic State University
- ITA Convention 2019: Greg Patton – Boise State (ret.)
- ITA Convention 2020: A Million Points of College Tennis – Craig O’Shannessy & Warren Pretorius
- ITA Convention 2020: The Developmental Planning Process & Performance Team Approach – Dave Ramos
- ITA Convention 2020: Analytical Best Practices for College Coaches – Dave Ramos
- ITA Convention 2021: Maximum Utilization of 2-on-1 Drills in Training – Mat Cloer & Martin Blackman